Friday, August 10, 2018

Chemistry - Week 10

Investigate the chemicals under your own kitchen sink, and prepare a short report on what you find.
This report will be extremely short. I have no kitchen sink, and the only cleaning products I use with chemicals are my laundry detergent (Arm & Hammer) and dish soap (Method). My Method dish soap says it uses "non-toxic, plant-based 'Powergreen' technology." Not really sure what exactly that means though, but it also says, "designed + sourced responsibly from beginning to end to beginning again," on the back. The A&H detergent says it "contains biodegradable surfactants" on the back. Are they safe? Maybe the Method? Not confident about the A&H. Even if the chemicals in it are safer, I forgot to get unscented and usually, scented products are made from plastic adhesives, so I read somewhere...

Are you seeing more "safer" alternatives to cleaning products?
I think so.. I have noticed the "safer" dish soap alternative, Method, popping up quite a while ago at standard places like Walgreens, Target and Safeway. After I started working at Whole Foods, I did notice that there were quite a few "safer" options on their shelves. I honestly haven't had much time to check them out and see if they really were "safe" though, hence the reference of "safe" and "safer" in quotation marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment